Sermon Notes & Outlines
Sermon: Faith In the Community
1. As Christians, we are but pilgrims and sojourners in this world…
a. We have duties regarding our spiritual growth and development – 1Peter 2:11
b. Yet we also have a duty toward those who are still of this world – 1Peter 2:12
2. One arena where we fulfill our duty to those in the world is “the community”…
a. The cities and neighborhoods in which we live
b. Relationships we maintain with our neighbors and fellow citizens
3. What impact should our faith have as members of the community…?
a. What effect should it have on us as neighbors and citizens?
b. How can our communities become a place to evangelize the lost?
4. In 1Th 4:11-12, Paul gave general instructions concerning Christians living in this world…
a. To lead a quiet life
b. To walk properly toward those who are outside
I. THE CHRISTIAN AS NEIGHBOR
A. TO ASSOCIATE WITH OTHERS…
1. True, we are to be separate – cf. 2Co 6:14-18
2. But we must not confuse separation with isolation – cf. 1Co 5:9-13
3. Jesus provides the example – cf. Mk 2:14-17
B. TO LIVE IN PEACE…
1. As much as it depends on us – cf. Ro 12:17-21
2. Careful to give no offense if possible – cf. 1Co 10:32-33
C. TO WALK IN LOVE AND WISDOM…
1. We owe it to our neighbors to love them – cf. Ro 13:8-10
2. Showing kindness through hospitality (love of strangers) – cf. Ro 12:13; 1Ti 3:2
3. Making good use of our time – cf. Col 4:5
4. Speaking with truth and grace – cf. Col 4:6; Ep 4:25,29
D. TO DO GOOD…
1. Diligent in doing good works – cf. Mt 5:16; Lk 6:35; Ga 6:10
2. Displaying honorable conduct – cf. 1Peter 2:12; 2Co 8:21
3. Earning a good testimony from those outside – cf. 1Ti 3:7; Acts 22:12
II. THE CHRISTIAN AS CITIZEN
A. OBEY THOSE IN AUTHORITY…
1. To be subject to rulers authorities – cf. Tit 3:1; Ro 13:1-5
2. To obey their laws, unless they conflict with God’s law – cf. 1Peter 2:13-16; Acts 5:27-29
B. GIVE HONOR AND PAY TAXES…
1. Honor all, including those in government – cf. 1Peter 2:17
2. Pay taxes and customs, rendering fear (respect) and honor – cf.Ro 13:6-7
C. PRAY FOR THOSE IN AUTHORITY…
1. For kings and all who are in authority – cf. 1Ti 2:1-2
2. That we might lead quiet and peaceable lives in all godliness and reverence – cf. 1Ti 2:2-3
III. THE CHRISTIAN AS EVANGELIST
A. HOLDING FAST THE WORD OF LIFE…
1. We are to shine as lights in the world – cf. Php 2:14-15
2. Holding fast the Word of life – cf. Php 2:16
3. In our communities, we have a duty to spread the Word!
B. INFLUENCING PEOPLE BY EXAMPLE…
1. Sometimes people won’t listen to our message
2. But we can still influence them for good by our example – e.g., 1 Peter 3:1-2
3. In our communities, we have a duty to confirm the Word by our lives!
1. Living in our community is a wonderful opportunity…
a. To be a positive influence on our friends and neighbors
b. To be a blessing for whatever country in which we find ourselves
2. Let your faith in the community be an opportunity…
a. To demonstrate the value of a vibrant faith in Christ!
b. To reach others for Jesus Christ through the gospel!
What kind of neighbors and citizens are we? Do we encourage others to glorify God…?